Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Molly Freakin Ringwald

You know, sometimes I think I am so insightful and I think these little thoughts to myself and wonder why I waste my time processing claims when I could be doing much cooler things.

Well...as usual, I was brought back to reality last week.

Let me back up a minute. About two months ago I stumbled upon this song by Cary Brothers called Ride. AMAZING song. I knew who he was, as he's had songs in both Garden State and The Last Kiss. Obviously both star Zach Braff who obviously has great taste in music because yeah...have you HEARD those soundtracks? So, I hear Ride and I'm digging it so I go to his myspace and listen to a few other tracks and then go on and buy his album off iTunes. I love it when you get an album where you love every song on it, not just a select few. I freaking LOVE it when that happens.
One song in particular really stood out to me and has become one that I listen to constantly, and is currently my most listened to song on my iTunes. What song you ask? If You Were Here. I love it. I can't get enough of it.
I would say probably within the first week of having the album, I'm sitting at work, listening to my iPod, which I do pretty much everyday, and I'm listening to 'If You Were Here' when I suddenly realize why I love this song so much. It reminds me of an 80's movies and I immediately think to myself-I wonder if he wrote this thinking of one of those cheesy 80's movies with Molly Ringwald? When it gets to the bridge especially...the build up, then he and the girl start in on the harmony and I'm just washed away listening to this song. I am a big fan of anything 80's, especially the movies, especially of the John Hughes variety, which happen to star? Right...you're following along.
So the love for Cary Brothers just continued over these past two months, loving him, loving the music. I usually only listen to my iPod when Michelle, the other supervisor is there at work. After 5pm, I take over, as she leaves for the evening, and it doesn't feel very responsible to be listening with an earbud in (even though I have the volume very low) so I usually switch to my little boom-box.
The only decent radio station left in Atlanta (IMO) is Dave FM. Everyday at five, Sully does the Retro in the Metro (the poor man's Retroplex) where he plays 80's music. I only ever have my music on just loud enough for me to register it's there, in the background as a distraction. Well last week I'm at my desk, it's past five and I'm listening to the radio...Dave FM...retro in the metro. Right...so about 5:30 or so he starts playing this song by the Thompson Twins. I'm like "OH-this is from Sixteen Candles, I love that movie!" I recognize it because of the keyboard/snythesizer bit at the beginning. Here come the lyrics. Cue me having one of those lightbulb over the head moments. Those lyrics sound familiar?? Cut to me leaning in close to my radio so I can hear loud enough as the lyrics go on "and if you were here..." It's a freaking COVER song! The Cary Brothers version is a cover of the Thompson Twins original song which WAS IN A FREAKING MOLLY RINGWALD MOVIE!!!
I realize it took me a while to get here-go back and read the beginning of this rant.
I am such a dork, not cool at all, and will forever be a claims processor.

P.S. If any of you out there have been won over to Cary Brothers by this post, I have an extra ticket to his show in March...come with me!

1 comment:

Amber said...

i love Cary Brothers... i too was turned on to them by Garden State bc its not only one of my top 3 movies but the soundtrack is awesome. i think you and i are one in the same when it comes to music that really moves us. (minus a few boy bands) ive only downloaded a couple of their songs but will be buying the whole album today after reading your post. keep the blogs coming.. yours is one of the few that i LOVE reading.